Subject: Re: Tools logins -- Aaaargh!

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 15:36:54 +0200

Hi Dale,

On 2010-08-31 18:08 Worley, Dale R (Dale) said:
> There is probably a better place to complain about this, but...
> 
> There are various IETF "tools" web pages.  But I have a devil of a
> time using them because they do not identify themselves usefully when
> asking for a login.  There are multiple login databases in the whole
> IETF tools suite, and experienced users know which database controls
> access to which tool.  But for us unwashed masses, there is no way to
> guess which web pages demand which password because they are named
> inconsistently.
> 
> Let me propose:
> 
> * Each password database has a *single* name which is the only name
> that it is ever referred to by, such as "IETF tools login" and "IETF
> datatracker login".
> 
> * Each login prompt gives the *single* name of the password database
> that it is driven by.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's good.  However...

I went ahead and changed the AuthName directive in the Apache config
files to specify "IETF tools login" instead of "IETF" a moment ago.
I then tested logging in, and couldn't, and then realised that since
the tools servers are using digest authentication, the digest will
change when the realm changes and all the passwords in current use
(2508 at the moment) will be invalidated.

So I had to revert it back to the old setting :-(

We've had as a goal for some time to move to having the same login/pw
for both the datatracker and the tools pages; I think we'll have to
try to move forward with that plan in order to handle the situation,
rather than the quick fix proposed above.

Best,

	Henrik

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 17:39:20 +0200

> rather than the quick fix proposed above.

If you're going to make a substantial change (as opposed to a two-minute 
fix), then I suggest accepting openid.

Arnt