Subject: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:19:07 -0400

There is an interesting discussion thread on the NANOG list <[email-masked]> under this title that some people on this list might be interested in following. 

Regards
Marshall

---

From: todd glassey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:26:28 -0700

> There is an interesting discussion thread on the NANOG list <[email-masked]> under this title that some people on this list might be interested in following. 

Why not simply ask Len Klienrock the answer to this question.

Todd

> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
> 
> 
> 
> 
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com 
> Version: 9.0.851 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3132 - Release Date: 09/12/10 23:35:00
> 

-- 
//-----------------------------------------------------------------

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based
on this message or any information herein. If you have received this
message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.

Thank you for your cooperation.

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:31:53 -0400

Who cares?

William Shockley is considered by some to have 'founded' the modern field of
electronics. Are we thus obliged to accept his bigoted and racist views on
social issues?

I am pretty sure that my ancestors did not anticipate parliamentary
democracy as they raped and pillaged their way from Northern Europe, through
the low countries to France and finally defeating Harold II at Hastings.

The obsession with 'founders' intentions is a uniquely US obsession, and a
largely self-deceiving one at that. Most nations were founded by the most
obnoxious, bellicose and dastardly individuals imaginable.

Who gets to choose who is a 'founder' and who is not? Who gets to interpret
them?

At least some of the people who were thinking about computer networking in
the 1970s were thinking about a paid model.

In fact Ted Nelson invented the idea of hypertext because he was as
obsessional on the subject copyright protection as RMS is but with entirely
the opposite point of view.

Argumentum ad reveram. is tedious in the extreme. The Internet is not held
together by magic, its workings are not secret. If there is an argument to
be had as to how the future of the internet should evolve it should be made
on the basis of what effects the policy and technical proposals on offer
should have.

The one constant has been that the pace of technology development has been
such that metered service has been unattractive from the 1970s through to
the current day.

As an experiment, I am currently trying to see if I can exceed the Comcast
250 GB/month bandwidth cap. So far I have got up to 58%.

Now the suits who thought the bandwidth cap a good idea are probably still
congratulating themselves over the savings. But I strongly suspect that
within two years time they are going to be greatly regretting that decision.
What they have done is to drive away their biggest consumers of bandwidth
while building out an infrastructure designed to allow their customers to
consume more and more bandwidth.

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>wrote:

> There is an interesting discussion thread on the NANOG list <
> [email-masked]> under this title that some people on this list might be
> interested in following.
>
> Regards
> Marshall
>

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/