Subject: Re: New Version of draft-lawrence-sipforum-user-agent-config-01

From: Scott Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:03:00 -0400

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 06:55 -0700, IETF I-D Submission Tool wrote:

> A new version of I-D, draft-lawrence-sipforum-user-agent-config-01.txt
> has been successfully submitted by Scott Lawrence and posted to the
> IETF repository.
> 
> Filename:	 draft-lawrence-sipforum-user-agent-config
> Revision:	 01
> Title:		 Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) User Agent Configuration
> Creation_date:	 2010-04-15
> WG ID:		 Independent Submission
> Number_of_pages: 25
> 
> Abstract:
> This document defines procedures for how a SIP User Agent should
> locate, retrieve, and maintain current configuration information from
> a Configuration Service.
> 
> This document is the product of the SIP Forum Technical Working Group
> User Agent Configuration Task Group.

This is an update in response to comments received so far during IETF
Last Call.  

Change Summary:

      * The major change is to provide the Configuration Service a
        choice of whether to require the User Agent to create a change
        notice subscription or to require the User Agent to poll for
        changes using HTTP.  The User Agent is required to support both
        and use whichever mechanism the CS chooses.

      * There is small correction to the expression of the U-NAPTR
        regular expression to make it exactly match the one in RFC 4848.

      * The wording in the Scope section was changed from 'is free to'
        to 'MAY'.

The specifics of the changes can be generated at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lawrence-sipforum-user-agent-config/

---

From: Scott Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:30:32 -0400

The IETF Last Call draft-lawrence-sipforum-user-agent-config ended
yesterday (it began 2010-03-23).

> > User Agent Configuration Task Group.

There were a number of reviews on this list, including a substantial
thread on whether or not there should be an alternative mechanism for
updating configurations, because the SIP subscription required by draft
00 was seen to be more than was needed in some deployment environments.

On 04-15, an 01 draft was published that addressed that issue and a

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lawrence-sipforum-user-agent-config/

The remaining issues that were raised in the discussion were questions
regarding whether or not the level of detail in the draft on various
protocol usages (such as which parameters must be used from DHCP) were
appropriate (could have been replaced by pointers to other RFCs).  Since
this document is intended to serve as a guide to implementing and
deploying a comprehensive configuration service, the authors feel that
carefully specifying the minimum usages is useful.

The authors believe that the 01 draft appropriately responds to all the
issues raised during Last Call.

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:50:39 +0300

Hi,

there was a fair amount of discussion around this document. If you had
comments on it, please have a look at the new revision and let us know
if there are concerns that still have not been addressed.

We intend to continue progressing this draft on April 28th (a week after
Scott's email below).

Cheers,

Gonzalo