Subject: Ph.D. Fellowships: Telecommunications Research

From: Daniel Puche <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:44:38 -0400

Université du Québec à Montréal Ph.D. Fellowships: Telecommunications
Research

*Job Description*

The Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM) is a major university in Montreal
Canada.  The computer sciences department is working on several major
activities, among which Telecommunications research in the areas of network
element configuration and management.  The Telecom group is seeking a post
graduate (Ph.D.) candidate, to participate in a new research effort in the
area of Network Virtualization.  Using different software and hardware
approaches, the Ph.D. candidate will investigate the complex mechanisms
which enable the virtualization of networking elements with as little
overhead as possible.  The successful candidate will participate in the
conception, development and testing of several different models.

*Qualifications*

Candidates for the Telecommunications Ph.D. Fellowship must have the
following qualifications: (1) a recent Masters Degree (conferred within the
past 3 years) or equivalent (4 years college), in computer science,
mathematics, engineering, the physical sciences, or a related field; (2) a
strong background or training in computer operating systems partitioning
and/or scheduling; (3) a working knowledge of application development using
NetFPGA, Verilog, or EZChip and Linux OS; (4) a working style that
demonstrates initiative and a willingness to take on considerable individual
responsibility; (5) excellent verbal- and written-communication skills
(Working knowledge of French is required at UQAM); and (6) the ability to
work effectively with others.

*Funding*

Initial funding is expected (pending budget approval) for a minimum of 3
years.  Ph.D. candidates should expect to complete their thesis work within
3 to 5 years.  Annual studentship is set at $18,000 ($CAN) per year.

*Application and Contact*

The application must include Diplomas, Official grades and scores (GPA), and
the names of three references.
Contact:

Omar Cherkaoui, Professor

http://sites.google.com/site/omarcherkaouiwebsite/
Director LTIR ( Laboratoire de TeleInformatqiue et de
Réseau)<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.teleinfo.uqam.ca%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEze1q3FfBRqDx2W5buVo7Xjzhj6dJg>
Department of Computer
Science<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.info.uqam.ca%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzeATw8udQkXQoo0NQqxuaB_dh2D4g>
Department of Computer Science
200, Sherbrooke Street
Montreal, PQ, H3C-3P8, Canada
Office: SH5715
Phone: 514-987-3000 (no voicemail messages, please) ext 3513
Fax: 514-987-8477
E-mail: [email-masked]