Subject: SECDIR review of draft-ietf-yam-rfc1652bis-pre-evaluation-00

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:26:27 -0400

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's 
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG. 
  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security 
area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these 
comments just like any other last call comments.

This document provides a set of observations on whether the SMTP Service 
Extension for 8bit-MIMEtransport (RFC 1652) should be advanced from 
Draft Standard to Standard.  It matches the document against the 
criteria of RFC 2026, and poses questions to the IESG about the 
acceptability of the document for a full Standard, along three axes:
1. Proposed changes
2. Any other changes necessary (none listed)
3. Downward references

I do not believe that this document raises any security concerns beyond 
those of the underlying document (RFC 1652).  All of the proposed 
changes are simple updates to current references (e.g., adding RFC 5321 
in addition to RFC 821).  None of the proposed changes or downward 
references are related to the security of the protocol.

--Richard