Subject: Re: [IAOC] Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:48:08 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Steve Crocker <[email-masked]>

    > The Internet and the IETF are all about engaging, expanding,
    > communicating and being open. ... More than a billion people live in
    > China and their use of the Internet is expanding rapidly. ...
    > Our first slogan was "Networks Bring People Together."

The likelihood that having the IETF actually meet in China will have _any_
real impact on a country so large, I find very improbable. The things we
produce? Yes. Having a meeting there? Somehow I don't think so.

	Noel

---

From: "HUANG, ZHIHUI (JERRY), ATTLABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:27:39 -0400

As far as I know, IETF is not a political entity so it doesn't seem
appropriate for it to take a position on any of the issues brought up so
far.  

Some IETF participants will invariably have strong political views. The
question is whether or not those views should influence their decision
to take part in any conference in China. To each his own, of course. I
just wish people would go to China and see it in first person and decide
for themselves what the real conditions are. Maybe I need to go out more
but for every person I know who's been to China, none has had negative
experiences and some have changed their view of the country completely.

F.U.D. is a powerful thing and I'm dismayed at how much influence it has
on otherwise bright people.

Coming back on topic on a practical concern of encryption and VPN access
from China. I was in China in May 2008 and used IPsec from my hotel
rooms (two hotels in two cities) for VPN access (back to the US) without
problem at all. The throughput maybe suspect at times but not the
protocol operation itself. I would think that is something that can be
properly addressed by the Host.

Thanks,
Jerry (I don't speak for AT&T in any way, shape or form.)
--
Jerry Huang, AT&T Labs, +1 630 810 7679 (+1 630 719 4389, soon)
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Noel Chiappa
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2009 11:48 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [IAOC] Request for community guidance on issue concerning
afuture meeting of the IETF

    > Our first slogan was "Networks Bring People Together."

The likelihood that having the IETF actually meet in China will have
_any_
real impact on a country so large, I find very improbable. The things we
produce? Yes. Having a meeting there? Somehow I don't think so.

	Noel
_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf