Subject: take the train in Chicago

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:24:19 -0700

FYI,

According to the WEB, it is really easy and really cheap
to take the train from the O'Hare airport to the IETF hotel.

(I have not verified this info however...)

 From the airport:

  1) Walk east on the terminal 2 CTA Rail Walkway to the station

  2) Take the Blue line train southbound (fare $2 USD)
 
  3) After approx. 45 min. ride, get off at the Monroe/Dearborn stop

  4) Exit through the Monroe/Adams Mezzanine

  5) Walk 1 block east on Monroe St. to the hotel at 17 E. Monroe St.

Andy

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

---

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jul 2007 15:55:39 -0000

>to take the train from the O'Hare airport to the IETF hotel.

The CTA is the subway, which is different from the suburban commuter
train.  You are correct that the CTA is by far the best way to get to
downtown Chicago so long as you don't have more luggage than you can
carry.  I've taken it to and from the Palmer House many times.

> From the airport:

Just follow the signs to the CTA subway.  The station is within the
airport, walkable by underground passage from the domestic terminals.
>From the international terminal you take the intra-airport tram to one
of the domestic terminals first.

>  2) Take the Blue line train southbound (fare $2 USD)

You have to buy a farecard from a machine at the station before you
get on.  Assuming you're planning to return to the airport, get one
for at least $4.  If you're going anywhere else in Chicago, you might
want enough for a few more rides.  FYI, the House of Blues is an easy
walk from the Palmer House unless it's raining really hard.

>  5) Walk 1 block east on Monroe St. to the hotel at 17 E. Monroe St.

Right.  If it's raining, you can get off the blue line at Clark/Lake,
go upstairs to the loop trains, and take an orange or pink line train
to the Adams/Wabash stop which is closer to the hotel.

For people who are flying into Midway, just take the orange line
subway from Midway to Adams/Wabash.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 12:31:13 -0400

I have done this and its a lot cheaper than a cab - note that CTA ==  
subway.

Note that there are two airports, O'Hare and Midway, and Midway is  
much closer to downtown.
I generally find it cheaper and easier to get to Midway from inside  
the US, and you will be at your hotel faster.

Note, also, that Chicago has pretty good train service from much of  
the US.

Regards
Marshall

P.S. There is actually an Arriving in Chicago for Dummies :

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-843.html

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:58:35 +0100

On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 03:55:39PM -0000, John Levine wrote:
>
> ... walk from the Palmer House unless it's raining really hard.
> 
> ... If it's raining, 

So there's me thinking Chicago in July will be mid 80's sunshine, and
you mention rain twice in one email :)

-- 
Tim

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:19:12 +0200

> you mention rain twice in one email :)

You can get the occasional thunderstorm of tropical intensity.

      Brian

---

From: Janet P Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:20:48 -0400

When I look at the "10 day forecast" for Chicago, 5 of the 10 days include 
some form of "rain".

But they agree with you about the temperature.

Janet

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:25:45 -0500

On Monday, 16 July 2007, Janet P Gunn wrote:
> When I look at the "10 day forecast" for Chicago, 5 of the 10 days
> include some form of "rain".
>

As a Chicagoan I can assure you that any forecast beyond the next 12 
hours is useless.

Of course, having just said that, watch those forecasts turn out to be 
accurate for the first time this century.

Kyle

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:18:11 -0700

> As a Chicagoan I can assure you that any forecast beyond the next 12 

Just like a typical Chicagoan.

Ridiculously optimistic about the weather.

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 07:56:48 -0400

I used the train yesterday, and it worked as advertised.  It took 45 
minutes, and it was cheap.  However, it will be even slower for 
people arriving this weekend.  The train will stop running on a 
portion of the Blue Line Friday at 11PM (last night) until early 
Monday morning.  A shuttle bus will be used to move people around the 
closed portion of track.

>*Blue Line Slow Zone Elimination Project*
>
>*Effective 11:00 p.m., Friday, July 20 until 1:00 a.m., 
>Monday,  July 23, 2007*
>
>Due to Blue Line construction to eliminate slow zones*, Blue Line rail
>service will be temporarily suspended in both direction*s between the
>Clark/Lake (accessible) and western/Milwaukee stations. Bus shuttles
>will operate as a substitute for rail service, making all stops from
>Jackson (accessible) to Western/Milwaukee.
>
>CTA Blue Line trains provide frequent service from _O'Hare Airport_ to
>downtown in only 45-50 minutes.
>
>The Blue Line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Safe travel,
   Russ