Subject: Re: the evilness of NAT-PT, was: chicago IETF IPv6 connectivity

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:21:01 -0700

+1

-original message-
Subject: Re: the evilness of NAT-PT, was: chicago IETF IPv6 connectivity
From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: 07/05/2007 11:59 AM

> There are basically two types of applications/protocols: the simple
> client/server ones (that work through NAT without changes) and
> anything else that's more complex. In my opinion, it would be a huge
> win to allow the former to work through some kind of IPv6-IPv4
> translation because then all the hosts that only use these types of
> applications don't need IPv4 anymore and life becomes simple for the
> people who need to manage these hosts. 
that's the kind of thinking that polluted the IPv4 network with NATs. 
the problem is that those simple applications share the same hosts and
network that the other applications do.  if you put devices in the
network that only solve problems for the simple applications, then you
get a network that can only run simple applications.

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf

_______________________________________________
Ietf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf