Subject: RE: spam

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 14:51:42 -0700

> Dean Anderson wrote:
> I notice that you can get 250Gig disks now for under $400.

What kind of crap would that be? 7200 RPM IDE drives? With a Promise
raid maybe (great product for a home PC btw). Not the kind of stuff I
put in my mission-critical servers and I don't put big drives either as
a RAID-10 array of smaller (36gig) 15KRPM is what brings speed. 

> 2 Disks make 1 500Meg volume.

By my count 500 Megs is 28 disks @$350 ea which is $10k.
Plus 4 hot-swap enclosures with RPS @$2.5k ea $10k more.
Now I need to back it up, takes 3 ultrium drives @ $6k ea is $18k more.
Backup Exec Raid option: $600
2x 64-bit RAID card: $5k

500 gigs = $45K as of today.

Michel.

---

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 18:36:30 -0400 (EDT)

> 500 gigs = $45K as of today.

You can probably spend a great deal more, if you shop around.

But that is still dirt cheap, for an ISP handling 400,000 messages per
day, with the capability to store 8 months of email.  Lease on 45K is
about $500/mo. Still much, much less than $1 per month.  Let say we are
going to buy this equipment, and put in the trash after 3 years.  Now we
in the vicinity of $1600/mo. Still much, much less than $1 per month per
user.

		--Dean