Subject: Barry Leiner

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 11:08:13 -0700

Yesterday I discovered that Barry Leiner had died when I saw his obituary 
in the San Jose Mercury News:

   http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/5759432.htm

Barry was a DARPA program manager and was very involved in the early 
Internet and the organizations the evolved into the IETF.

I did a search and found the following written by Bob Kahn.  It is more 
eloquent that anything I could say.

Bob

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april03/04editorial.html

Memorial Tribute to Barry Leiner

by Robert E. Kahn

Quite unexpectedly, Barry Leiner — a pioneer in the information technology 
— died in his sleep during the early morning hours of April 2, 2003. Our 
thoughts and prayers go out to his wife Ellen and their two children, Jason 
and Diedre, along with the rest of their family.

....

Let me turn my attention to a few of Barry's most important contributions. 
While he became well known in the networking community during the 1980s, a 
decade later he also became well known in the information management 
community. His background in communications made him an ideal candidate to 
take responsibility for the Internet project at DARPA. I had started the 
project in the early 1970s and Vint Cerf ran it from 1976-1982. By 1983, 
the technology had matured to the point that DARPA transitioned the ARPANET 
to the TCP/IP protocols and the operational Internet was put in place. The 
main issues here were as much organizational and social as they were 
technical and bureaucratic and required skill in all four areas. Barry 
Leiner had all four requisite skills to do the job.

.....

This was the essence of Barry Leiner as I knew him. He strove for 
accomplishment, for fairness and objectivity, for collaboration and 
organization, for supporting the community whose talents he greatly 
appreciated and for being a friend and colleague to all who knew him. Barry 
was a person you could trust. You could talk to him, ask his help or his 
advice and he would gladly give it if he could. He was truly a giving 
person. Anyone who ever knew him came away the better for the experience.

I will miss him greatly and I know his friends and colleagues will feel the 
same.

---

From: "vinton g. cerf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 09:55:39 -0400

folks,

also please see:

http://www.lifefiles.com/lifeLegacy.php?i_memorialid=1049731711

Vint

At 11:08 AM 5/2/2003 -0700, Bob Hinden wrote:
>Yesterday I discovered that Barry Leiner had died when I saw his obituary in the San Jose Mercury News:
>
>Barry was a DARPA program manager and was very involved in the early Internet and the organizations the evolved into the IETF.
>
>I did a search and found the following written by Bob Kahn.  It is more eloquent that anything I could say.
>
>Bob
>

---

From: shogunx <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 14:23:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 3 May 2003, vinton g. cerf wrote:

Vint,
I'm sorry about your friend.  You two must have been close.  I know how it
is when there are very few people in the world who truly understand what
you do.  It gets lonely.  My sincere condolances.

Scott

> >I did a search and found the following written by Bob Kahn.  It is more eloquent that anything I could say.

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
world tour 2002-3
live from the pirate hideout
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81