Subject: RE: spam

From: "Peter Ford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 08:36:36 -0700

The common person is asking/begging for help.  So people should not be surprised that governments are going to take action.  As Paul Vixie notes, this may result in overlapping legislation and regulation that makes interoperation of the Internet more difficult.  That is worse than a "waste of time".
 
Perhaps the membership of the IETF could step up, provide leadership, and at a minimum provide informed advice to the public debate on what will and will not "work".   In the process people might discover work that falls into the traditional province of the IETF ...   
 
regards, peterf

---

From: Donald Eastlake 3rd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 13:20:41 -0400 (EDT)

There's the IRTF group at http://www.irtf.org/charters/asrg.html.

Donald
======================================================================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                       [email-masked]
 155 Beaver Street              +1-508-634-2066(h) +1-508-851-8280(w)
 Milford, MA 01757 USA                   [email-masked]

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Peter Ford wrote:

> Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 08:36:36 -0700
> From: Peter Ford <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: spam
> 
> The common person is asking/begging for help.  So people should not be
> surprised that governments are going to take action.  As Paul Vixie
> notes, this may result in overlapping legislation and regulation that
> makes interoperation of the Internet more difficult.  That is worse
> than a "waste of time".
>
> Perhaps the membership of the IETF could step up, provide leadership,
> and at a minimum provide informed advice to the public debate on what
> will and will not "work".  In the process people might discover work
> that falls into the traditional province of the IETF ...
>  
> regards, peterf