Subject: Spam and Variant threads

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 04:12:24 -0700 (PDT)

You know... Ordinarily *I* have no problem just hitting the
delete key when I receive e-mail that's not what I need to be
reading, but it *does* seem odd that I'm receiving so much
e-mail on *this* thread, on the IETF list.

If I may summarize the situation as I understand it:

- the IETF has declined to work on spam as an e-mail issue, at
least thus far (IETF 40 SPAM BoF, sadly without providing any
minutes for the proceedings),

- there is an IRTF research group on the topic, but their
mailing list is not [email-masked],

- there are things that individuals can do/not do as part of the
political process in the United States, and this has already
been pointed out on [email-masked], so no strong reason to
continue to discuss it there.

So, why is this discussion continuing on [email-masked]? 

You may think that the answer is "my next post will settle this
issue once and for all", but so far, this fact has not been in
evidence.

Please don't stop thinking about the problem - just stop
thinking that postings to the main IETF discussion list will do
anything to solve the problem!

Spencer